13 stycznia 2015

Malinova 1944.

For this battle, I painted all my Tigers. The day before the game, Bill asked me to postpone our Sudan game until the following week, so I had to prepare something quickly. I had only one scenario prepared: the Battle at Malinova, originally fought on July 22, 1944, about 15 kilometres north of Daugavpils, Latvia. During this battle, Otto Carius's tanks reportedly destroyed around 17 IS-2 tanks and a few T-34 tanks. Does that sound unreal? It does to me too, and there’s some scepticism about it on the Axis History forum. So, was it possible? We were about to find out.

Do tej bitwy malowałem wszystkie moje Tygrysy. Dzień przed grą Bill poprosił mnie o przeniesienie naszej sudańskiej gry na następny tydzień, Musiałem przygotować coś na szybko. Miałem tylko jeden gotowy scenariusz i była to bitwa stoczona koło wioski Malinova, 22 lipca 1944, około 15 km na północ od Dyneburga w Łotwie. W tej bitwie czołgi Otto Cariusa zniszczyły około 17 czołgów IS-2 i kilka T-34. Brzmi nierzeczywiście? Dal mnie też, ale nie tylko. Na forum  axishistory też w to wątpią. Czy było to możliwe, Zamierzaliśmy się o tym przekonać.

Malinova from the south. Malinova od południa.
From the north. Od północy.

I used the scenario created by Mike Haught, Victor Pesch, and Wayne Turner for Wargames Illustrated (December 2011). Originally designed for Flames of War, I adapted it for Battlegroup Kursk. While I retained the original number of tanks, I revised the order of battle (OdB) to be more realistic, organising the tanks by type within their companies. Additionally, I removed the infantry from the game, as they would likely not have participated in the battle. To depict the element of surprise and the Soviet crews' unpreparedness, all Soviet tanks (excluding the commanders) began the game pinned down.

Użyłem scenariusza napisanego przez Mike'a Haughta, Victora Pescha i Wayne'a Turnera dla Wargames Illustrated (grudzień 2011). Oryginalnie był napisany dla Flames of War, ale przerobiłem go na Battlegroup Kursk. Pozostawiłem oryginalną liczbę czołgów, jednak zmieniłem OdB na bardziej realne (czołgi jednego typu w kompaniach). Usunąłem z gry również piechotę, ponieważ najprawdopodobniej nie wzięłaby ona w ogóle udziału w rozgrywce. Aby pokazać niespodziewany atak i nieprzygotowanie sowieckich załóg, wszystkie czołgi radzieckie (oprócz czołgu dowódcy) zaczęły grę spinowane.

SCENARIO/SCENARIUSZ: Mike Haught, Victor Pesch, Wayne Turner
UMPIRING/PROWADZENIE GRY: Bartek Żynda
SCENERY/SCENERIA: Bartek Żynda, SESWC
MODELS/ MODELE: Bartek Żynda


1. Forces. Siły.




SOVIETS/SOWIECI
(Campbell Hardie)

1 Senior Officer + 9 Officers, 72 BR

IN MALINAVA (all started pinned):

Elements of 48th Guards Heavy Tank Regiment
Heavy Tank Company: 3 x IS-2 (regular)

Elements of 41st Tank Brigade

Battalion HQ: T-35/85 (regular) (unpinned)

1st Company

Company HQ: T34/76 (regular)
1st Platoon: 3 x T34/76 (regular)
2nd Platoon: 3 x T34/76 (regular) (D6 roll, on 1,2 – reinforcements)
3rd Platoon: 3 x T34/76 (regular) (D6 roll, on 1,2 – reinforcements)

2nd Company (reinforcements)

Company HQ: T34/85 (regular)
1st Platoon: 3 x T34/85 (regular)
2nd Platoon: 3 x T34/85 (regular)
3rd Platoon: 3 x T34/85 (regular)

GERMANS/NIEMCY
(Bartek Żynda)

1 Senior Officer + 2 Officers 24 BR

2/502. Schwere Panzerabteilung.

Schwere Panzerkompanie HQ:2 x PzKpfw I (veterans)
1. Schwere Panzer Platoon:2 x PzKpfw I (veterans + panzer aces) (Otto Carius and Albert Kerscher)
2. Schwere Panzer Platoon:2 x PzKpfw VI (veterans)

2. The game. Gra.

The game started off very well for the Germans. T-34s and IS-2s were easy targets for the big cats' powerful guns. After the first few turns, nine Soviet tanks were destroyed. However, to eliminate the rest of the Red Army tanks, I had to move some of my tanks out of the woods. This turned out to be a poor decision, as I became exposed to flanking fire from incoming reinforcements. I began to lose my Tigers. 

To make matters worse, Campbell played an "Out of Ammo" token against me. I failed to respond effectively, and soon Otto Carius found himself without ammunition. Surrounded by hordes of T-34s, I had to withdraw with only two Tigers left. It was a bloody victory for the Soviets, who lost 13 tanks. In terms of battle rating points, I ended up with 22, while Campbell scored around 56.

Gra rozpoczęła się bardzo dobrze dla Niemców. T-34 i IS-2 były bardzo łatwymi celami dla dział dużych kotów. Po pierwszych turach zniszczyłem 9 sowieckich czołgów. By wyeliminować resztę czołgów Armii Czerwonej, musiałem ruszyć z zarośli. Nie była to jednak dobra decyzja, ponieważ wystawiłem się na atak z flanki nadciągających rezerwowych czołgów. Zacząłem tracić moje Tygrysy. By jeszcze zwiększyć mojego pecha, Campbell zagrał tokenem Brak Amunicji przeciwko mnie, Test wypadł niepomyślnie i Otto Carius pozostał bez amunicji. Otoczony przez hordy T-34 musiałem się wycofać moimi dwoma pozostałymi Tygrysami. Krwawe zwycięstwo dla Sowietów kosztowało ich utratę 13 czołgów. W punktach BR, ja zebrałem 22, natomiast Campbell coś około 56.




3. Summary. Podsumowanie.

This was a very good game, and it showed that my doubts were mostly right. One Tiger tank couldn't destroy many Soviet tanks; however, with the other tanks in the unit, it was possible. Since I hadn't played Battlegroup in a long time, I had trouble with some rules, and it took a lot of time to figure out the right way. Despite this, we managed to finish our game in two hours, so it is not bad. Some information said that Carius had eight tanks in his unit, so this could change something in the game - maybe later we can try it again with more tanks...

To była bardzo udana gra i pokazała, że wszystkie moje wątpliwości były słuszne. Jeden Tygrys nie był w stanie zniszczyć tak dużo sowieckich czołgów, jednakże wspólnie z resztą z oddziału - było to bardzo prawdopodobne. Ostatni raz grałem w Battlegroup dość dawno temu i znalezienie niektórych zasad zajmowało mi trochę czasu, jednak udało nam się zakończyć grę w ciągu dwóch godzin – co nie jest zły wynik. Pewne źródła podają, że Carius dysponował ośmioma czołgami i to być może zmieniłoby obraz gry – może za jakiś czas spróbujemy jeszcze raz z większą ilością czołgów…

4. Links. Linki.

Axishistory forum about the battle:
Wątek na forum axishistory o bitwie:

Movie on YouTube about the battle (Carius version) - in Russian only:
Filmik na youtube o bitwie (wersja wydarzeń wg Cariusa) - tylko po rosyjsku:

My gallery on Flickr:
Moja galeria na Flickr:

6 komentarzy: